"In Loving Memory of our first afghan "
"Cruise came to us from Afghan Rescue Scotland in february 1999, he was my first afghan. I was contacted by Susan Blane on the thursday night to say a 7yr old black/silver male would be coming into rescue on the saturday and could I offer him a new home. I got another call on the saturday morning to say they had picked him up and that he was in a terrible state. Susan was close to tears on the phone as she had known this dog as a youngster and couldnt believe the condition he was now in. John Blane arrived to do the home check and told me that the dog was in a bad way and that they would understand if I felt he was too much to take on. But to me this fact only strengthened my view that this poor dog needed a home and fast. A few hours later Cruise arrived at my door, I was shocked at what barely walked from Susans car. He had no hair on his  hind legs, and barely any hair on his back, open sores on his legs and hindquarters. He had been bathed and treated for fleas at rescue and Susan said he cried when the water touched his skin(it was so raw). What a piteful site for any dog, let alone a once beautiful afghan who had done well in the show ring in his younger years. My mum made him a coat to protected his bare skin and he attented the vet for weeks. My vet said she had never seen a dog hang its head so low (he wanted to die). He had to get injections to clear his skin of flea and mite allergy, creams for eye/ear infection. His second course of injections were so painful for him that both myself and the vet were on the floor (in tears) cuddling and trying to console him because he screamed and cried so much. After that we decided no more injections, but twice weekly bathes with special shampoo and a foul smelling lotion that had to be applied the day before his bath. Cruise also didn't eat well , he was so thin that his hindlegs were almost transparent. We had to feed him on pasta, rice  & chicken with added supplements, it was a labour of love that paid off. His coat started to grow back and he had a new lease of life(tho' his walks were kept fairly short due to his severe mussle wastage). Sadly I could do nothing to relieve his mental pain. Although he was a big baby with me and very affectionate when awake, he could be very aggressive if he was disturbed. Sometimes he would snap at the kids just for passing. At first we made excuses for him because of the pain etc that he had suffered. Then one day he attacked my daughter (who was really good with him) for no reason. She had come into the house, passed cruise to go to the bathroom, come out and walked to the kitchen door, as she walked past him to talk to me he flew up and bit her thigh,as she let out a yell he jumped at her face. I sreamed his name and thankfully he stopped short of biting her. He had a look of total bewilderment on his face and I dont think he knew/remembered what he had just done. After a lot of discussion with rescue it was decided that Cruise couldnt be rehomed  and after lots of tears  it was agreed that the best & kindest thing to do for him was to put an end to his pain and suffering. It was one of the hardest and saddest things I have ever had to do. I will never forget him and will always love him. I just wish I could have done more. In no way do I or any of the kids blame Cruise for the way he was(he had been so badly mistreated), we believe he suffered  nightmares /flashbacks when he slept. He is still missed very much and will hold a special place in all our hearts. Sleep tight my baby 'til the day we meet again at the "RainbowBridge".........   
*If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep.
Then you must do what must be done,
Because this battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand,
Don't let your grieve then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test*....,,,

~Author Unknown

Cruise's Story

Discover Avril Lavigne!